Duke football earned its first bowl berth in 18 years against North Carolina a week ago, but the Blue Devils learned that their is still a hierarchy in the ACC Saturday.
Duke had its ‘butt-kicked’ by Florida State 48-7 Saturday, getting dominated in all phases of the game.
Make sure to check out that story and the rest of this week’s “NEIGH-VER EVEN CLOSE” in Sportswrap, The Chronicle’s Monday sports supplement:
- In Duke basketball’s season-opening exhibition game, the Blue Devils beat Western Washington 105-87, taking down the reigning Division II national champions. Rasheed Sulaimon was the star with 18 first-half points, finishing the game with 20. Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee led the effort with 22 points each.
- The Duke women’s soccer team was bounced in the first round of the ACC tournament by Wake Forest in a tight 1-0 match.
- The Duke men’s soccer team earned a critical ACC win and moved back to .500 by beating Virginia Tech.
- The swimming and diving team hosted its first meet of the year and came in third out of four teams but won a number of key individual races.
- Although the Duke football team was thoroughly trounced, it was a good loss—they did not make mistakes, but rather they were just beaten by a better squad.
- The biggest impact from the Florida State loss may be the injuries to Sean Renfree and Juwan Thompson.
- In the Duke women’s basketball team’s annual blue-white scrimmage, the Blue Devils lost 70-69 against their scout team.
- Mike Moverman shined for the Duke men’s cross country squad in the ACC Championship meet, though the team largely fell flat.
- The women’s cross country team earned second, with two runners earning All-ACC honors.
- The No. 22 Duke field hockey team fell 3-1 to No. 7 Virginia.
- The Duke volleyball team fell to North Carolina Friday but earned a dramatic comeback win against N.C. State Saturday.