Duke baseball is turning some heads under first-year skipper Chris Pollard.
Behind a complete game shutout from pitcher Robert Huber, the Blue Devils took two out of three this weekend from No. 15 Georgia Tech.
This week’s Sportswrap, The Chronicle’s weekly sports supplement, shows Duke baseball’s triumphant victory, the team’s second over a ranked conference opponent this season. For the rubber match of the three-game series, the Blue Devils drew the inspiration they needed from the King of Pop, Michael Jackson.
Here are all the stories from a busy weekend of Duke sports:
- Blue Devil track and field hosted this weekend’s Duke Invitational and recorded 12 first-place finishes.
- Duke men’s lacrosse throttled High Point 17-6. This was the Blue Devils’ seventh straight win.
- Duke men’s tennis won both of its weekend matches against Clemson and Georgia Tech. With the win, Blue Devil head coach Ramsey Smith earned his 100th-career victory.
- Senior Lindy Duncan represented Duke at the LPGA’s Kraft Nabisco Championships, but failed to make the cut.
- Playing in a competitive field in Bryan, Texas, Duke men’s golf finished 7th at the Aggie Invitational.
- Duke men’s soccer won its first scrimmage of the spring, a 3-0 triumph against Cincinnati.
- Once again battling injuries and competing with five players, Duke women’s tennis dropped two matches this weekend against Georgia Tech and Clemson.